Sunday 15 June 2014

Go on, save someone's life!

Have you ever done something so incredible that you actually saved someone's life? Well after reading 'I've got 60 days to save my fiance's life' I was compelled to do just that.

The article describes Kate Robertson's race to find her fiance Mike Brandon, a stem cell donor after he was diagnosed with leukaemia in March this year. He is currently having chemotherapy at Bristol Royal Infirmary but desperately needs a stem cell transplant in July, when his chemotherapy finishes.

Can you imagine the horrific wait for the news that someone has donated and is a match? What if that wait goes on for months, or years even? I just can't bear the thought of one of my loved ones being diagnosed with something like that and waiting, and waiting for that good news to come through, that's why I am now registered to Anthony Nolan.

It was quick and easy to sign up, I just filled out the registration form online and then a few weeks later I received my sample tube so I could send off my saliva. A few weeks after that I received my card and now I'm officially signed up to save someone's life - I just have to wait for the call.

P.S. Amazing news... Mike Brandon now has a stem cell donor and will go ahead with his transplant in July. That just shows how powerful social media is, as Kate Robertson's #shake4mike campaign went world wide and the amount of people registering to Anthony Nolan has even increased by 650 per cent - WOW.

So if you're 18-30 years old, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR - GO SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a lovely idea and thing to do - will definitely sign myself up! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete